Saffron Buns with Vanilla
These saffron buns with vanilla may be the tastiest you will ever have baked. We bake the saffron buns with both butter and quark so they become really juicy. Vanilla in the filling makes them completely irresistible. Spin the saffron buns in knots and enjoy your golden wonders!
50 g fresh yeast
150 g butter or margarine
2 bags of saffron (1/2 g)
1 1/2 dl caster sugar
5 dl milk
250 g quark/kvarg (10%)
1/2 teaspoon salt
17 dl wheat flour (15-17 dl corresponds to 900-1020 g)
200 g room temperature butter or margarine
1 1/2 dl sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla sugar
This is how you do it
- Crumble the yeast in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a pot.
- Beat the saffron with a little of the sugar in a mortar. Stir the saffron into the melted butter. Add the milk and lukewarm mix to about 37 ° C.
- Stir the yeast into some of the mix. Add the rest of the mix, sugar, quark, salt and eggs. Pour in almost all the wheat flour and work the dough for about 5 minutes in a machine or 10 minutes by hand. Sprinkle some flour over the dough. Let it ferment under a baking sheet for 30-45 minutes.
- Filling: Stir butter, sugar and vanilla sugar smoothly.
- Take the dough on a floured workbench. Knead if necessary. in the rest of the flour and divide the dough into 2 parts (for 45 pcs).
- Roll out each part on a floured workbench to a cake about 25x60 cm. Add the filling. Fold the cake double in length, press it lightly with your hand. Cut 2-3 cm wide strips, divide them in the middle but let them sit together in the upper edge (like a trouser leg). Twist it into a knot. Place the buns on plates with parchment paper. Cover them with a baking sheet and leave to rise for about 30 minutes. Set the oven to 250 ° C.
- Brushing: Brush the buns with beaten egg and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Bake the buns in the middle of the oven for about 8 minutes. Let them cool on a wire rack covered with a baking sheet.
Saffron caramel with sea salt
Make the best caramel for Christmas: flavored with saffron and sea salt! A magically good Christmas candy that is easy to make and tastes sweet, spicy and salty at the same time.
50 g butter
3 dl sugar (3 dl corresponds to about 270 g)
3 dl whipping cream
1 1/2 dl light syrup (1 1/2 dl corresponds to about 210 g)
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
2 pack saffron (1/2 g)
1 - 2 teaspoons flake salt
This is how you do it
Mix all ingredients except saffron and flake salt in a saucepan measuring about 21 cm in diameter. Bring to the boil and cook for about 25-30 minutes on medium heat to 125 ° C. Stir occasionally. Do ball tests, see tips for instruction.
Stir in the saffron. Pour the caramel batter into a small baking paper-lined form, approx. 15 x 20 cm (for 40 pieces). Sprinkle with flake salt. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Cut the caramel into pieces. Store at room temperature in an airtight jar with parchment paper between each layer.